Beginning in 2019 trash will be picked up on Mondays and Tuesdays.
West Street & West Side
Beginning on JULY 29, 2019, your new collection day will be on Monday. Your trash can be placed out for collection beginning at 6:00 PM the previous day. Please remember to return your trash containers to your property after collection.
If your collection day falls on one of the holidays listed below, it will be picked up on Tuesday.
Beginning on JULY 30, 2019, your new collection day will be on Tuesday. Your trash can be placed out for collection beginning at 6:00 PM the previous day. Please remember to return your trash containers to your property after collection.
If your collection day falls on one of the holidays listed below, it will be picked up on Wednesday.
The following are a list of holidays that will delay the collection of your trash:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (4th of July)
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
Please abide with the rules for collection of trash & waste in Homestead Borough.
- Reusable containers for individual residences shall have a capacity of not more than 40 gallons and a loaded weight of not more than 40 pounds.
- Disposable plastic bags or sacks are acceptable containers, provided that the bags are designated for waste disposal. Plastic bags shall have enough wall strength to maintain physical integrity when lifted by the top, shall a capacity of not more than 30 gallons and a loaded weight of not more than 35 pounds.
- Garden clippings and tree trimmings shall be tied and placed in approved containers or shall be cut and tied securely into bundles. Bundles shall be not more than four feet in length, not more than two feet in diameter and not more than 40 pounds in weight.
- Construction materials, paint, lacquers, flammable liquids or gases, television sets, computers and other electronics are not permitted to be placed out for collection; and will not be taken by our refuse hauler. You are required to dispose of these items through a licensed recycling company.
If you require additional information, please contact the borough office at (412) 461-1340
Homestead now offers recycling on 7th Ave across from Aldi’s parking lot.
Electronics Recycling now required in PA
By law, Republic Services, the garbage collector for Homestead Borough, can no longer take televisions, laptops, computers, printers or other electronic computer and/or audio-visual items as part of the Pennsylvania Covered Device Recycling Act. It is against the law for these items to be thrown out with your trash and for us to take them. They must now be recycled and can be dropped off at a designated collection point. Below is a collection site, but you will need to call for more information.
eLoop, LLC (E)
625 Plum Industrial Court, Pittsburgh
For more information on the covered device recycling act, please visit the State’s website by clicking HERE. For more information on other places to recycle, please visit www.zerowastepgh.org.
Please download our flyer for the rules on recycling containers.